Monday 6 May 2013

Homemade tabasco

I do love a few dashes of tabasco on pizza and pasta and have always been curious on how it's made. I was planning to make some if my chilli plants are successful later in the season but since my friend left some chillies at mine, I decided to experiment. Looking at a few recipes online, I didn't have enough ingredients to follow any of them exactly so I improvised.

I took the 4 large chillies that were left, cut them into chunks, about 1/2 cup of cider vinegar, and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt, all in a saucepan and simmered for about 5 minutes. Then put them in a blender, blitzed and poured it into a bottle where it will sit in the fridge for 3 weeks or more. Shop bought tabasco has a distinct taste from fermenting for years in barrels so I'm extremely curious how mine will taste!

My tabasco experiment

No comments:

Post a Comment