Monday 1 July 2013

June garden update

Our potato plants seem to doing well. Very green and leafy, and I wish the leaves were edible! 
Potato plants
The broad beans plants have only 5 pods from our 9 plants (one plant had 3 pods, so 6 plants didn't have any) so I'm not sure if it was really worth growing them. There are new shoots growing from the bottom so I'm thinking of pruning the main older shoot and hopefully the new ones will flower and fruit. 
Broad beans

Strawberries are doing well. Probably the most rewarding plant so far. 
Strawberries

Salad have been left to grow but some are annoyingly bolting. I read it's normal because of the longer hours of daylight and nothing much can be done but sow more seeds every few weeks. A bit tricky when you have little growing space. But I won't complain as I love the long summer days.

I've let the pak choi and mizuna go to seed but at least I'll have some seeds to harvest and use next year.
Pak choi flowers and seed pods



Mizuna seed pods

The courgettes are getting bigger, so are the tomatoes. Borlotti beans and peas are starting to trail up the fence. Bitter gourd, cucumber don't seem to be growing as fast as the rest but at least they are looking healthy. 

Butternut squash seeds germinate really quickly. I decided to plant them just over a week back and they are already bigger than some I planted 2 months ago.
Butternut squash seedlings

No comments:

Post a Comment