Friday 12 July 2013

Blooming vegetable flowers

We've had lots of sunshine these past few days and the plants seem pretty happy starting to show their blooms. We had quite a few first with flowers.

First pea flower
However a couple of days after this photo was taken the tip of this pea shoot seemed to have been snipped off. The end was on the ground so I don't know if I can blame the pigeons? But another flower has formed and hopefully lots more will come.

First courgette flower
It's been a bit of a struggle deciding whether to eat or leave that first courgette flower. We've never had courgette flowers but heard only good things about them, but we thought to leave this very first one to mature and we'll have the opportunity to pick others. 

Bolting salad flowers
Some salad varieties have bolted which is a bit disappointing considering they hardly matured. Produced about 4-6 tiny leaves and then bolted. But at least they are producing pretty flowers that I'll try collect seeds of.

Second batch of broad bean flowers
The broad bean plants have produced a second batch of flowers. The main stem was producing side shoots and I wasn't sure if I should cut the main down but looks like that worked! 

Tomato flowers and buds
The first lot of tomatoes planted have shot up quickly into proper plants after months of being trapped in small containers as little two inch seedlings. A few tiny flower buds have appeared and I pruned them back as the books, cutting everything under the first bloom (and also anything that didn't have a bloom - I got a little enthusiast with the seceateurs) so hope I haven't pruned too harshly but they seem to be holding up alright.

Onion flower buds
I know you are meant to dig up onions before or when they start to flower but I had a look at mine and they were so tiny I thought I'd leave them in to bloom and collect the seed. I did plant them from an old onion so maybe that's why they didn't swell up.

Potato flowers
I can't wait to dig up the potatoes and I think the flowers and yellowing leaves are meant to be a sign that it's soon. I'm hoping it's not going to be an anticlimax (like with the onions) where the tops are doing well but nothing much beneath the soil. 



Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment